Foothill-De Anza Community College District
Posting #: 16-077
Campus: Foothill College
Number of Working Months: 10 Months
Starting Salary: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually
Open Until Filled: Open Until Filled
Employment Duration: Full-Time
Initial Review Date: 1/8/17*
*Any complete applications received after the review date will only be forwarded to the hiring committee at their request.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District is currently accepting applications for the faculty position of Instructor, History, Foothill College.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE POSITION INCLUDE:
Primary responsibility of a History Instructor is to teach a range of college-level courses that fulfill either general education requirements or an Associate of Arts degree in History. Provide classroom instruction in accordance with established course outlines while using comparative cross-cultural, multicultural, and multidisciplinary perspectives.
Standard duties expected of all faculty include development and evaluation of curricula, maintaining scheduled office hours, attending department and division meetings, pursuing professional growth activities, service on district and/or college committees, and performing other duties consistent with the role of an instructor. Instructors also have the opportunity to participate in campus extra-curricular activities.
- Understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Master's degree in history OR
Bachelor's degree in history AND Master's degree in political science, humanities, geography, area studies, women's studies, social science, or ethnic studies OR
- Knowledge, ability, and enthusiasm to teach the full scope of lower division Western Civilization and/or World Civilization history courses.
- Knowledge and ability to teach lower division history courses in areas outside of Europe and the United States, preferably African or Asian history.
- Experience and/or interest in teaching courses online and knowledge of current computer software used in the history field.
- Commitment to advising and mentoring students related to career and transfer options.
- Successful experience teaching students of ethnically and culturally diverse backgrounds at the college level.
- Ability to use various teaching methods that a) engage students in their own learning, including outcomes that motivate students to develop higher-order thinking skills, and b) ensure consistent and appropriate monitoring of student progress.
- Initiative and ability to develop curriculum.
- Commitment to the mission of the community college and its philosophy of education.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and interest in working cooperatively with colleagues in multiple departments and in serving on college committees in a shared governance organization.
- Indoor, office environment.
(Applicants should perform these physical abilities with or without reasonable accommodations)
- Hearing and speaking to exchange information.
- Vision sufficient to read various materials.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to perform the tasks required of the position.
- Regularly stand, walk, and sit for extended periods of time.
- Bending at waist, kneeling, or crouching.
- Reaching overhead, above the shoulders, and horizontally.
- Lifting and carrying objects up to 20 lbs.
- A District on-line application to be completed at http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/ *In the application, you will provide information, which demonstrates your understanding of, sensitivity to, and respect for the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious, and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- A cover letter detailing your background and experience, skills, and abilities as they relate to the minimum and preferred qualifications of this position.
- A current resume of all work experience, formal education and training.
- A required supplemental document providing a response of no more than two, double-spaced, typed pages to the following question: In teaching students about the history of world civilization, how do you approach the diversity of the population in regions outside of Europe and the United States and its impact on the development of the modern world, particularly in terms of groups that are traditionally underrepresented in texts and other classroom materials.
- In a Word document please provide a list of all relevant courses you have completed. Applicants invited to interview will be requested to submit transcripts verifying all courses taken and completed.
NOTE: Official Transcripts verifying qualifications will be REQUIRED prior to an offer of employment. Applicants who have international transcripts must obtain transcripts that are evaluated by an independent educational-equivalency evaluation company and obtain an English translation (if necessary). These services are to be done at the applicant's expense. Both Foothill De Anza CCD employees and external candidates must submit transcripts.
If you wish to request equivalency for this position (if you believe you do not otherwise meet minimum qualifications via educational degree attainment as specified), you may submit the Request for Equivalency form. This form will need to be submitted with your application packet. You may either scan a hard copy of this form with your application packet or submit it as a Word document with your application packet. http://hr.fhda.edu/_downloads/Equivalency.pdf
If any required application materials are omitted, the committee will not review your application packet. Application materials not required (including reference letters) for this position will not be accepted. For full-consideration, all application packets must be received by 11:59 pm on the closing date.
Please allow yourself ample time to complete your application and resolve any technical difficulties that may arise with your submission. We do not guarantee a response to application questions within 48 hours of the closing date. You may also visit our Applicant Information webpage to assist with technical difficulties at: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/a-applicant-instructions.html
HIRING RANGE: $57,066.00 - $93,722.00 annually plus benefits; actual placement is based on applicant's verified education and experience.
For the complete Faculty Salary Schedule, go to:
Excellent benefits package which includes medical coverage for employee and eligible dependents, dental, vision care, employee assistance program, long term disability, retirement benefits and basic life insurance. Other voluntary benefits are also available such as legal assistance, pet insurance, and long-term care. Faculty are also eligible for paid professional development leaves and stipends for educational and professional development.
For information on our benefits package that includes medical for employees and dependents, visit our web site: http://hr.fhda.edu/benefits/index.html
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Full-time, Tenure-track, 10-months per year
STARTING DATE: Fall 2017
Persons with disabilities who require reasonable accommodation to complete the employment process must notify Employment Services no later than the closing date of the announcement.
The successful applicant will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
The Foothill-De Anza Community College District does not reimburse applicants for travel, lodging or any other costs incurred by applicant to attend interviews. All interviewing costs incurred will be the responsibility of the applicant.
For more information about our application process contact:
Foothill-De Anza Community College District
12345 El Monte Road
Los Altos Hills, California 94022
To apply, visit: http://hr.fhda.edu/careers/
Copyright 2015 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency