Job Posting: February 2017
Position Title: Part-Time Middle School Social Studies Teacher
St. Mark’s Episcopal School is excited to conduct a search for a part-time middle school social studies teacher for the 2017-2018 school year.
St. Mark’s, established in 1979, is a coeducational parish day school, now serving 475 students from age two through Grade 8 in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. The foundation of St. Mark’s program is to provide students with balanced exposure to academics, arts, athletics, and spiritual life. At all levels, our students will be, as our mission states, academically enriched in a nurturing Christian environment.
To prepare our students to thrive in what has become an increasingly global society, our social studies courses provide students with a foundational understanding of the geography, history, and political nature of both the United States and many other countries across the world. Recognizing man’s triumphs and failures, students examine societies’ constraints and freedoms, periods of war and peace, and ultimately, the tragedy and greatness of the human experience.
Ideal candidates are those who seek to partner with parents, collaborate with team members, demonstrate a commitment to professional growth, motivate students academically, and support students in developing their moral character. A firm understanding of differentiated instruction and 21st century skills should drive this candidate’s instruction. Qualified candidates should have an understanding and the ability to respond to the distinct needs of middle school students, as communication with children of this age requires a healthy balance of structure, empathy, and humor.
Preferred Professional Qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree in secondary social studies education, history, geography, political science, or within another related field. Advanced degrees preferred.
- A love of history and a passion for teaching students to develop their own appreciation.
- An understanding of best practices for teaching content area skills.
- Previous middle school teaching experience.
- Familiarity with independent school culture.
- Comfort with a faith-based school.
- Knowledge of authentic, age-appropriate technology integration.
- An interest in leading co-curricular activities or coaching sports.
For more information on St. Mark’s Episcopal School, visit our website at stmarkspbg.org. Interested candidates should email a cover letter and resume to Ann Fernandez, Assistant to the Head of School, at email@example.com.