Adjunct Instructor - Environmental Science (Energy for a Sustainable Future)
Full job description and OFFICIAL application available ONLY at: http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=175031
Cabrillo College is accepting applications for temporary, part-time faculty assignments that may
become available in the Spring 2020
ES 15 Energy for Sustainable Future and
ES 15L Energy for Sustainable Future Lab
In addition, Cabrillo College is accepting applications in order to establish an eligibility pool for
temporary, part-time faculty assignment(s) for Environmental Science instructors that may become available.
Faculty at Cabrillo College have a long history of shared governance and participation in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
• Masters degree in geology, geophysics, earth sciences, meteorology, oceanography, or paleontology OR
• Masters degree in ecology or environmental studies OR
• Master's degree in any field of engineering OR
• Bachelor's degree in geology AND a Master's degree in geography, physics, or geochemistry OR
• Bachelor's degree in any field of engineering AND a Master's degree in mathematics, physics, computer science, chemistry, or geology OR
• Bachelor's degree in any field of engineering AND a professional engineer's license OR
• Equivalent OR
• Possess a lifetime California Community College Instructor credential in Earth Science, Ecology, or Engineering
Required Professional Expertise:
• Currency and depth of knowledge in the applicable professional field
• Knowledge of and commitment to teaching strategies and practices that enhance student success at community colleges, including effective use of technology
• Effective oral and written communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to teach the courses or perform the duties effectively as described above
• Demonstrated ability to communicate well with students of diverse academic, ethnic, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds; gender identities, sexual orientations; and students with disabilities
• Evidence of professional activities and service beyond the primary teaching assignment
• Development and review of curriculum as well as including assessment of learning
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively with others.
• Demonstrated responsiveness to and understanding of the racial, socioeconomic, academic, and cultural diversity within the community college student population, including students with different ability statuses (e.g., physical and/or learning) as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practices in the classroom
• Demonstrated ability to reflect critically on institutional and teaching practices that aim to increase cultural responsiveness
• Knowledge and understanding of the accountability and critical dimensions of equity
• Demonstrated ability addressing issues of equity in the classroom
• Recent successful teaching experience at the community college level
• Demonstrated ability to employ innovative teaching techniques and methodologies
• Experience teaching diverse student populations
• Successful online teaching experience
• Knowledge of culturally-responsive pedagogical teaching techniques and effective ways for engaging students who are historically under-represented and under-served.
Cabrillo College is an equal opportunity employer
Internal Number: 89367
About Cabrillo College
Cabrillo College empowers students to be effective communicators, critical thinkers, and responsible world citizens. With a commitment to quality and equity, we connect all learners to pathways that propel them from where they are to where they aspire to be, including: academic, personal, and career growth.